Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Slim Pickings...

Does anybody else's fridge look like this the day before payday?


Seriously, come on over - I'll cook you a feast of buttered noodles (in the shape of Disney characters) and apple slices dipped in various dressings.  Tempting, huh?  For dessert I do have graham crackers smothered in Nutella (now, that truly IS tempting - have you tried that stuff?!?).  Believe me, the pantry isn't much better - lots of  parmesan couscous (my absolute favorite thing to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner), cheese crackers, and honey nut Cheerios.  

Do any of you let your fridge get this low?  

Three issues here:  1.  since the move I haven't quite restocked the staples that are always there, 2.  I'm overly anal about leftovers - you won't find anything over 2 days old in my fridge, and 3.  grocery budget ran out about a week and a half ago (I can't believe how expensive everything has gotten, and man, it is expensive to try to eat healthy!!).  We've had some interesting concoctions lately and have accepted ALL dinner invitations (yeah... that would be 1 - remember we are new here...)!

Quite thankful that payday is here - off to the grocery store!!

Any good money saving tips?  How do you stay within your grocery budget with the ever increasing price of goods?  Also, how do you limit your "quick trips" that seem to occur every 1-2 days?



5 comments:

DEb said...

I gotta say, sometimes (actually MOST of the time) ours looks WORSE...because Karl gets paid ONCE A MONTH....it kills us...and I've NEVER gotten used to it...it's been ten years... yeah, I know.!! :(

Anonymous said...

do i need to move your children in with me to make sure they're nutritionally fed! :)

my only money saving tip is the one you've put into practice... don't go to the grocery store!

Anonymous said...

I NEVER stay within my budget... sad. Food is the one thing that Merlyn won't let me skimp on. He would freak out if our fridge was that bare!

Erin said...

aahhh.... now that's a familiar sight. It's crazy what you can conjure up for dinner when there isn't much. I hate trips to the store. I buy produce to last at least a week, some that has to be eaten right away and others that store better, and eat accordingly. That's my big tip.... oh yeah, and I always have extra bread, butter, veggies and meat in the freezer. It gets better :D

Pete Wilson said...

Wow! You need to send that husband of yours out fishing. If I need to come up and help him fish to provide for you and the girls, I will gladly sacrifice.