Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Self - Induced Quiet Time

I'm fortunate that my girls get along quite well.  I often have to remind myself of that as I suspect it won't last forever.  However, they still have their moments and Sunday evening was one of those moments.  It was one of those days where in seconds they can go from best friends to worst enemies - it's enough to drive one crazy (and I know I NEVER did this to my parents!).  :)  Alex must have sensed my frustration level (in other words, she noticed the deep breaths, tense posture, and audible counting to ten - anybody else been there?) because she decided that her and Maddie needed some "quiet time" away from each other (and away from me).  We decided that they needed to be in "quiet time" until dinner was ready - this was about 5:00.  So, like any good mother, I watched the news,  read a few chapters of my current book, and then started dinner. :)  

When I went to check on them this is what I found - and again, I had to stop and smile and think about how lucky I am to be their mother.

Alex quietly reading her "Junie B. Jones" book in the sunroom.

Maddie reading her Bible (I must be a great Mom!!) to her "blankie" - I'm still not sure why she thought the closet was an appropriate place for "blankie" to listen to a story.

It made me think about how much better of a mom I could be if I could take some self induced quiet times when things just got too hectic.  Any parent knows that those are something that have to be planned, and despite the fact that I am a planner, I fail miserably on this point.  My "quiet time" tends to come in the evening after the girls are asleep and includes the TV and the computer (and often a glass of wine).  That is not what I need - I need some time alone with God in prayer, a time to organize my priorities, a time to be thankful for what I have been blessed with - I know this, yet still have such a hard time carving it out.  

Does anybody else go through this?  How do you create your "quiet time" and more importantly, how do you stay committed to it?  


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i try to get a little time to myself during naptime. somedays that happens and somedays it doesn't. somedays i need it more than others!!!

Pete Wilson said...

Let's be honest. We both know she's reading that Bible because of my example. :)

We're leaving in the morning for Townsend. Hiking, fishing and camping. Wish you guys were with us.

holly said...

@Pete - I didn't say she was fishing, mowing the yard or watching football - where do you fall on the Bible reading spectrum? :)

Enjoy your weekend!

Mamu Lou said...

My quiet time includes nap time (although that may be becoming a thing of the past) and Friday mornings while Caleb is now in preschool. I am LOVING the alone time!!! What I mean is that I while I terribly miss Caleb, I find some things to do to bid my time until it's time to go pick him up. Ya... that sounds better. My alone time is a necessity for me to maintain my sanity!!!

Anita J. said...

I linked here from Without Wax. I love the closet idea. God may be trying to tip you off to a GREAT hiding OOPS I mean praying place. The Bible scholars can say what they want about what 'closet' actually means, but I think Matthew 6:6 got translated 'closet' for a good reason. I have been thinking about taking my grandma's chair into my closet, but if I do, they'll know where to find me.