Monday, October 27, 2008

Breaking News: Pigs Can Fly!!!

This is a rarely seen event in our household...Nate at the stove...

Aside from making the occasional breakfast and random grilled cheese, Nate is not known for cooking, baking, warming, roasting, broiling, microwaving, steaming, sauteing, toasting or any other type of activity done in the kitchen.  So, imagine my surprise when he announced to the girls that he wanted to make caramel apples with them.  (To be certain, the idea came from here and he mentioned they reminded him of "Dutch Days" - an event held near his hometown around Halloween.)
Here are the three of them with the finished product (Maddie refused to smile and told me I "hurt her feelings" by telling her to smile - I'm not sure where she comes from at times!).  

They were fantastic - I've already eaten two - the girls were more into the preparation than the actual eating of them.  They had a good time with their Daddy making treats and making memories!  He did a great job (and I was hardly angry with him because he went to the grocery store and spent $15 on 10 apples!!!!!  Has the man not heard anything about the "economic crisis"?!? - I guess this was his way of proving to me that I am much better at grocery shopping than him and also guarantees that I never allow him to go again.  He will often use this same tactic with cleaning and laundry.  And to be fair, he "totally redeemed" (extra points if you know the movie that line is from!) himself by giving me a late birthday present - my much coveted LAMINATOR - an anal retentive organizers dream come true!  Look for many future posts on that wonderful invention!) :)

We also went to the pumpkin patch this weekend (we sure do miss good ole Gentry Farms back in Nashville!) and enjoyed the beautiful fall weather.  Here are a couple of pictures.

The girls posing with their pumpkins.

Alex and Daddy on the rope swing.
Maddie on the slide in the hay maze.
The family.

I LOVE this time of year - everything about it - the smells, the temperatures, the colors, the activities - everything!  Nate and I discussed how if we were president we would make the whole year one big, happy fall!  (OK, not quite realistic, but just about as realistic as some of the proposals of our current candidates!) :)

Enjoy your week!

What are your favorite fall activities and/or memories?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of Nate for getting his domestic groove on. I think he looks quite sexy behind the stove!

holly said...

I had no doubt that you would know that! Another one of my favorite movies! Congrats on the extra points! :)