I've tried and I can't keep my mouth closed any longer.
Let me preface by saying that whoever you have chosen to vote for in this election is a personal choice and completely up to you. I fully respect people who have chosen to vote for either candidate as long as you have reached your conclusion based on actual research and not "hopping on the bandwagon" of either candidate. I believe that free speech and the right to respectfully disagree with others are fundamental rights of living in the United States of America. What I find appalling and has been so evident in this election is uneducated, uniformed, ignorant people voting for a candidate solely based on the color of their skin (either white or black or both), a celebrity endorsement, or a complete misunderstanding of the issues. The following is an example of this.
Now, I don't know much about Howard Stern, but based on what I do know I would guess that he and I differ on many issues. I found this example both refreshing in the fact that somebody finally has pointed this out, but also incredibly disappointing because of the actual content. Now, I understand that this was a small sampling of people, but I truly believe it represents some people voting for Obama. With that said, I believe that there are an equal amount of uninformed voters voting for McCain due to fear of Obama's middle name - equally as ridiculous. What I also find so discouraging is the amount of hate that some people are filled with - on both sides of the political continuum. I've heard Sarah Palin described in terms that should not be repeated - terms that have absolutely NOTHING to do with her policies and beliefs. I've also heard Obama described in terms that have NOTHING to do with his policies and proposals or the content of his character.
In this day and age of technology there is no reason that one can't find out what a candidate stands for - go to a public library and look on the home page of both candidates - decide who you agree with. Everyone has access to a public library. At a minimal level, it is as simple as that. American citizens should be well informed if they decide to cast a vote - you owe your country that.
Personally, (in the interest of full disclosure) I have always considered myself a moderate. I do not tow a party line. However, I tend to agree with conservative ideology on many issues much more than with liberal ideology. In the presidential election I will be voting for Senator John McCain because I agree with his proposals much more than I do with Senator Barack Obama's. I have to admit, I want McCain to be as smooth and suave as Obama - as eloquent and a bit younger. Obama's rise to dominance is quite compelling and I admire his personal story to a certain extent. You will not hear me "trashing" him because I have nothing against him as a man - I simply disagree with his ideas. McCain is far from perfect and I don't agree with him on everything. However, I can't get past the fact that I agree with McCain more often, and I believe that government should be minimally intrusive into the lives of its citizens. I detest the "entitlement" mentality of some Americans and would love to see the old days of self reliance and personal responsibility return to our citizens.
In the Missouri gubernatorial race, I don't know who I will vote for yet - I'm still in the process of researching both candidates and I will not cast a vote for either until I know where they stand on the issues important to me. What I will not do is vote strictly based on party or vote based on political ads - I will research the issues for myself and draw my own conclusions.
Who you decide to vote for, again, is up to you - I respect a difference of opinion and a respectful dialogue. I think Voltaire said it best when he said (and I paraphrase), "I may disagree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." However, in the name of American democracy, please educate yourself and others before casting your vote for president of this great nation.
Do you agree or disagree with me (not on my candidate of choice), but on the content of the post - the importance of taking your vote seriously and hoping others do the same?
4 comments:
that's quite interesting. my favorite is when the lady calls mccain "uneducated" then obviously doesn't know her facts! thanks for sharing!
I just had a conversation with Heath last night about this. I told him that it makes me mad to think that we spend more time picking out a pair of jeans or a new car than researching the facts for the presidential election!
I think this was very well said. I feel the same way on many of your points. I can especially relate to Americans needing to take responsibility for their actions rather than the the attitude of entitlement! Thank you for your post.
Holly
Great post! It confirms what I expect is the case with many voters (probably on both sides)!
PS Glad to see you in the blog world (not that I frequent the blog world like I used to...)
PSS (OK - how jr. high of me - who says PSS anymore?) Loved the comments on my post today!
Post a Comment