Did you ever have one of those friends that has been with you through all of lifes ups and downs - all of your outrageously fun times, but also all of your downright depressing times? Do you have someone who can read your mind, finish your sentences, and bring you back to your childhood within a matter of minutes?
I'm fortunate to have made a lot of friends in my life - some that come and go, some that last for a season, and then others that I have lost touch with, but still remember with fondness. I have friends that I haven't talked to in months, but know that the moment we speak again it will feel as though we hadn't missed a thing. Friendship is a wonderful gift (as is Facebook to keep up with y'all)!
One of my very best friends is coming to visit this weekend!! Jill and I met when we were 8 years old (that's more than 25 years ago!) when we were in 3rd grade together. I was a fairly new student and shyly invited her with some others to my birthday party at Showbiz Pizza (now known as Chuck E. Cheese). As a gift, she gave me a "Birthday Bear Carebear" and the rest is history. We were inseparable - spending every possible minute together. I was welcomed into her family and she was welcomed into mine. We went through the rest of school together, were room mates in college, and she was my maid of honor 9 years ago. We have some crazy memories together - many I hope that my girls will have one day, and then some others that I hope my children never find out about. :) I look back at my childhood and she is in almost every memory - sometimes it's hard to separate which one is me and which one is her. Often times people would mistake us for twins, not necessarily because we looked alike, but because we dressed, talked, acted, and thought alike. We even had our own writing style - people couldn't tell it apart - very convenient for some homework assignments! I smile as I write because there are so many fond memories - I wish I had access to the pictures of us growing up (they are in storage at the moment).
Our lives have led us down different paths - she is a fashionable, career oriented, New York business woman, while I'm the stay at home domestic goddess. :) We are both happy with our decisions, but sometimes have fun entertaining being in the others' shoes. She will be a great mom - I'd be a lousy business women! :) Despite our differences we always continue right where we left off. We'll be sure to have a blast this weekend!
Any of you have friends like this?
2 comments:
Oh, I have one of these friends. She lives in Texas now but we met when we were 5 and were best friends ever since. We still talk on the phone at least once a week! I love having a friend that has seen it all and still loves and supports me! Have a great time with Jill!
i hope you and jill have a blast! i still can't believe i never got to meet her when you lived here!
enjoy your girl time!!
Post a Comment