Thursday, October 23, 2008

"Because I Knew You..."

Like the new layout?  I decided to get fancy fall on y'all!! :)

My 3 new favorite things...

1.  Blogging 
     As the former "anti blogger" I know it is a bit shocking for me to admit!  I never would have thought that I would enjoy this as much as I do - for many reasons.   It's easy for my family and friends to see how we're doing, I'm creating a "cyber scrapbook" for my children, I'm learning new things everyday (you tube, anyone?) and I'm reconnecting with friends and family (even if I've had to have my foot in my mouth the whole time).

2.  Facebook
     I didn't even know what facebook was a month ago.  Now, I have reconnected with friends from Nashville, college, high school, and even former students - all with a click of the button and without having to talk on the phone.  Who knew that it could be this easy?!

3.  Skype
    This is a new one for me.  Recently some of my college friends (I love those girls so much - they knew me when I was a complete idiot and still love me!!!) and I have had some 3 way calling happy hours.  There will be about 4-5 of us on the line (I never even knew you could talk to more than one person at a time on the telephone (did I mention I was technologically illiterate?) - we talk and chat and catch up.  Last night we tried "skype" - a service that allows you to conference call on your computer with up to 9 people.  It's like we are all hanging out at someone's house catching up over a glass of wine!!  I seriously can't get over this thing - we can all talk, see each other (theoretically - we're still working out some kinks), and discuss pertinent topics (last night was politics - at this point what else is there?). What a fabulous idea!!  

All of this made me realize how much I love to connect with other people.  I think part of it is that we have moved to a new city and we're kind of in this "friend limbo" right now - not quite sure how much I want to invest in new friendships because we are here for such a short time.  But, more importantly, I think as I get older (I'm 33 today!!) I realize more and more how important my friends are to me.  Friends from all over the place and from all different times of my life.  Friends that have seen me through highs and some that have seen me through my lows.  Some that have been with me for 20+ years and some that I've known for short while.  Some that live down the street and some that live thousands of miles away.  Some that I see weekly and some that I see every couple of years.  Some that know the "real" me and some that know part of me.  Some that agree with me and some that disagree.  Some that have built my faith and some that need faith.  

You are all VERY special to me and I would not be who I am without all of you.  To quote my favorite witches (those of you know me well will know who Elphaba and Glinda are)..."because I knew you, I have been changed for good"!  

So on my 33rd birthday I would like to take the time to say - to all my friends (and family - I'll sing your praises in a later post!) I miss you and love you all - thank you for being a part of my life!




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the same way. When we moved to the Dickson campus I felt so lost...and I still lived in the same city! I go through seasons of feeling the need to connect with people. Facebook still surprises me...how do people think to find me? :) Glad you are able to use those items to connect with friends!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! So glad you've embraced social networking... we would never keep up otherwise! Have a wonderful day. Love you and miss you!

Erin said...

Happy Birthday!!! Enjoy your day... and you can relish in the fact that you're officially one up on somebody in the techno world...skype? what the heck is that? :D

Andrea said...

I hope you have a great birthday, I remember you, Susan and I getting together for your birthday back in Nashville.

I know how the friend limbo can be...I wish I had this when I was in TN. I remember telling a good friend of mine (who lives in Phoenix) that I didn't think I was going to make an effort to make friends because I was only in TN for 2 years. She said to me, "think of all the things you won't get to learn or experience through the meeting of new people." She was right...when I think of my 2 years in TN, you, Susan, Laura, Jennifer, Dee, Heather...I know I made some TRUE friends and learned a lot along the way!!!!!! Some wise advice from your 37 year old friend!!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

happy birthday! glad you've gotten on the technology/social networking bandwagon! :) makes it so easy to keep up!

holly said...

to all - thanks for the bday wishes!!

@andrea - thanks for the reminder about friendship - both you and @erin were in my same situation at one time and took a chance on investing in a friendship with me! Both of you have come to mean so much and I treasure the memories we have only if they were for such a short time - I think because of this reminder I've just decided to "go for it" with my "acquaintances" here - full blown friendship, here I come!! I can always keep up with them through blogs, facebook, and skype, right?

Anonymous said...

You're over the top!! Out of control!! Next thing you know you're going to be twittering. :)

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a great Birthday! Miss ya