You see, as a new high school social studies teacher 9 years ago I was eager to prove that I knew what I was doing and that I could do it better and make it more fun than other teachers because I was fresh out of college. For me, this meant a bit of traditional learning (lecturing, note taking, etc.) mixed in with some "hands-on" activities. In hindsight, I can see that "hands-on" took the form of "projects" - LOTS of them. Now, don't get me wrong, a lot of them were good - really good - and a lot of fun. I'm not apologizing for what they consisted of or what they taught my students, but for what it required of the parent, especially the moms.
Let me explain...
Last week, Alex came home from school with her first "social studies project". An assignment on "culture". She was asked to "create a representation of her own culture by including information about her family's celebrations, beliefs, food, holidays, religion, clothing, etc." It could take the form of a poster, booklet, photo album, or whatever else we could come up with. Since I'm a bit OCD I decided on a booklet - that way it could be easily transported and more importantly, easily stored - no huge poster boards for me, please. So I bought a binder, sheet protectors, and some cardstock. We sat down together and discussed what types of pictures she wanted to include, what types of things she could say to describe the pictures, and how she could let others in her class know what her family was like based on her "booklet". We broke the project into manageable chunks - a page or topic per night. We talked about time management and not procrastinating and putting it off until the end. She drew some pictures and I printed some for her to use. She wrote the captions and then we talked about what she would say during her presentation. We spent a lot of time on this (and we still aren't done - she has until Friday). We actually had a really good time working on it and reliving some of the memories. I was lucky because she enjoyed it and wanted to work on it - she was excited about it - I know that won't last forever. Here she is busy at work.

Again, my issue is not with projects themselves, but more so the TIME it takes to get them done. But, here's the real issue. She is my oldest child. She is in first grade. This is her first project. I'm wondering how much of my life will be spent helping my children complete their homework. This is the first time that I am on the other side of the homework issue. As a teacher, I found it valuable to enhance their learning - within reason. As a parent, I still find it valuable, but I'm honestly dreading the next 20 some years of my life repeating homework assignments. I realize that as they get older they will become more independent and not need my help as much. However, here is where I'm going to struggle. I tend to error on the side of perfection - I like things done my way (just ask my husband). I have high expectations for my children (don't worry, I know enough about myself to never let that get in the way of my loving them for who they are). I have a bit of a control issue - a lot of times it would just be so much easier if I did it myself, yet I know the value in her knowing she can do it herself. I realize that these tendencies are something that I will constantly have to keep in check as I never want them transferred to my children or have them feel "judged" by my issues. I know I have a long way to go...
How about you? How do you deal with the homework issue? How do you keep your expectations in check? Any current or former teachers out there that can relate?
6 comments:
So Rylie has started pre-k and she goes 5 days a week. Only 3 of those days she stays till 12:00 but the other 2 days she is there until 2:30. She has already had 2 take home assignments. Once she brought a bear home for the day and had to tell a story to me that I had to write word for word what she did. So she could share with her class what she had done that day. Of course, I had to take photos and add them into the story for illustration purposes:) Then next project was putting family photos together on a poster board and she had to tell me what was going on the in the pics for me to write in as captions. So my point in all that info is. I keep wanting to speed up the processes. Give her ideas of things to say or where to put a specific photos. I don't think I gave her enough of an opportunity to do it herself. That I will need to work on, because I will not be doing her homework for her later in life so I should not start now.
This is only the beginning!! It gets better in some ways and worse in others. I have shed a few tears over projects pushed to the last minute. Although, Im not OCD I still like for "their" work to look good. I can't tell you how many late night trips made so a portion of a project could be redone.
Jen - sometimes it is so hard to let them do it themselves. Just like getting dressed or tying shoes. I've had to work on my patience A LOT as a parent.
Marla - I specifically had you in mind while writing this - I know you've been there!
Well, as you know, I am OCD to the max... and I did some "teaching" - although not in your realm... I did two years of substitute teaching (every single day I might add) and then I was a "teacher" for our home school Enrichment program - THAT was the real deal....(for me) and one thing, I NEVER gave out homework. I felt if I could not get MY work done in the time allotted, I needn't be a teacher (again, just MY feelings and the way I work) I really feel that once those kids leave school, it's FAMILY time (which give YOU more "BUSINESS TIME")... and it worked out perfectly. It's all in the style of teaching. Kids will get it.
This made me laugh. I just told Heath how I severely underestimated the amount of time and energy it would take for homework in first grade with Isaiah. Honestly I wonder how I will juggle it when all three are in school! Thankfully we have not had a project from school yet. However, we have recently started cub scouts. This last Saturday was spent making a regatta for an upcoming race! I guess being a mom is a continual evolution.
Hey Holly!! Just now found your blog (thru Brandi's) and am SO PROUD of you for breaking though and starting your own blog. I'm glad we can keep up with you guys!!
Projects rule our 5th and 6th grade world. Sam just had a choice to do either a powerpoint or video project which he knew nothing of either!! SOOOOO Mom got to "help" and hopefully he gets a good grade because I was really sweating this one! You have a LOT to look forward to as your days of projects have just begun.
Post a Comment