Sunday, September 21, 2008

I'm a tourist

One of the great things about moving is being able to discover a new city.  I love driving around, getting lost, and then pulling out a map to find a new way home.  So far, St. Louis has been a wonderful place to live.  Because I know that we will only be spending a couple of years here I feel like I need to take advantage of all it has to offer.  I am a tourist in my own city.  If someone tells me I need to check out an area, I check it out.  I read about the history of an area and make it a point to visit.  I find out about "what to do with kids" and I do it.  I make a mental list of places to see, things to do, where to eat, etc. and in the next year or so I will have done it.  I get out of my comfort zone and routine and try something new.  Most of the time I am not disappointed.  

This weekend someone told Nate about a new park that we could try.  Our family enjoys "family runs" - I run, Alex bikes, and Nate pushes Maddie in the jogger.  It's a lot of fun because we get our exercise, but more importantly spend time together.  We loaded everything up (bike, helmet, stoller, water, snack, etc.) and headed out about 15 miles SW of the city.  After a roundabout journey and new directional discoveries we ended up at Powder Valley Nature Center.  

We were a bit disappointed at first because we found out that there was no jogging or biking so we had to switch our plans - a family nature walk.  Both Nate and I have a love affair with the outdoors (when it is not depressingly hot!).  Before children (and residency) we loved to hike, camp, and backpack at every opportunity and we miss it desperately.  Our children are finally at an age where they can enjoy this with us - it makes us very happy as we try to instill in them a love of nature.  (No, we aren't "tree huggers" or "granolas", just love and appreciate God's glorious creation.)  We chose a 1 mile loop, enjoyed our time together as a family, and saw deer, frogs (mommy stayed away), squirrels, birds, and it was even rumored (by Maddie) that a chicken was near by. :)  After our hike we spent a while in the "nature center" learning about our new environment.  The center was very well done - highly interactive and informative - the girls loved it!

So, my question to you is - what "tourist attraction" do you have near you that you have never taken advantage of?  Why?
OR 
What is your favorite "tourist attraction" in your area?  Why?



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holly. So glad to hear that you, Nate, and the girls are getting settled in Missouri.

I love, more than anything, my time in the Great Outdoors. Especially camping (preferably near a stream with trout in it)with Emily. This year we have already taken Ella camping, in a tent (not a hotel or RV), twice, and she is only one year old. She already loves the adventure of the strange sights, sounds, and smells. Not to mention getting dirty at will.

We have only been in Tennessee now for two years. We have only just taken advantage of my NEW favorite "tourist attraction", The Great Smokey Mountains. I love all of the open wilderness, wildlife, fantastic facilities, trails, and incredible trout streams!

I have also just jumped head-first into the blogging world. I developed "Blind & Stream" to journal and share my experiences with God and the Great Outdoors, with my friends and family. Make sure and give Nate the link. Next week is deer season you know. You can check it out here at Blind & Stream

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! Im glad you gave in and I hope you guys are doing great! Miss ya :)

Anonymous said...

You simply HAVE to go to Ted Drewes... Frozen Custard. It's on Chippewa and Jamison... If my memory serves me right.

We've been in TN for 17 years and there are TONS of things I've not been to....like the Jack Daniels place... gotta go there!! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm going with Deb!! I havn't been there either. Frozen custard sounds GREAT right now. I wonder if they have a JD flavored frozen custard?

holly said...

Derek - great site! I passed it on to Nate - as he is still somewhat of an "anitblogger" I'm not sure if he has checked it out yet.

Jess - good to hear from you!

OCD - We haven't tried Ted Drewes - I'll search for it this weekend!

krishna said...

Hi
This is krish from India (living in puttaparthi) you looking beautiful pitcher. Maybe if you like. May I join with you? I am here for new friends and tourist visitors to India. This is my blog
Check this blog http://saiyathra.blogspot.com/
Thank you
Best regards
From krish

Unknown said...

Lived in Nashville my whole life. I have never been to the Grand Ole Opry or Country Music Hall of Fame.