Wednesday, September 24, 2008

One More Day!!

I'm not a TV junkie.  I haven't had cable TV since I was a sophomore in college, no clue what a "dish" is, I don't know how to work TIVO or DVR, and my TV is 9 years old - a 19" RCA.  (Now, I would like a nice, new flatscreen, especially since my "bunny ears" will no longer work come February, but I really only want it because it can hang on a wall and get rid of TV clutter.)  As a matter of fact, I find most TV absolutely useless.  I'm appalled at what passes as "appropriate" TV nowadays and amazed that there is an audience that still supports it and continues to watch it.  I'll save my rant for a later post.

With that said, there is one show that I LOVE.  This show makes me laugh - I love the dry, sarcastic humor and their ability to make the mundane hilariously funny.  It is a show that I can watch over and over again, and often do - it is the only series that I have the previous seasons on DVD.  I am eagerly awaiting the season premiere of "The Office."  I love Dunder Mifflin and can't wait to see how the new character, Holly, impacts the personalities and the atmosphere of the office.  Ahhh, finally something to entertain me and worth watching!!!

Any other "Office" lovers out there?

On a side note, I was also going to urge you to watch the Presidential Debate Friday evening to finally see the candidates go head to head on important issues.  The rhetoric on both sides of the campaign is getting old and I'm ready to hear their stand on the issues.  However, I just heard that McCain has called for a suspension of the debate in order to get to Washington and hammer out a plan for the recent economic crisis.  I think it says a lot about a candidate (perhaps candidates - I haven't heard Obama's response) to be willing to suspend his campaign in such a tight race.  Or is it a crazy political ploy to get out of a debate?  Can they do both?

Your thoughts?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

you went a whole week before you asked a political question...

i'll watch the office on nbc.com because i'll be watching that cool, realistic medical drama, grey's anatomy, at 8:00! :)

Anonymous said...

I was going to watch the debates just to count how many times Obama stutters and says "uh" when talking. The elite media point to Bush's wretched speaking but when Obama is not reading he cannot talk without going to the uh, er, um like he is a 5th grader lying about eating cookies before dinner.

I think this move by McCain, while the right thing to do, is going to backfire. The poll that the media have pounced on, the WaPost/ABC poll, has him down 9. They are going to take what he did today and say he is ducking because he is behind in the polls. What they will not say is that in every other poll the race is within the margin of error.

If McCain is able to get anything accomplished than this will work out, problem is no one wants bi-partisanship. I think what he needs to do is go right to Hillary Clinton and hammer this thing out. Hillary will love it because she really wants Obama to lose so she can run in '12 and McCain can continue to say that he has brokered bi-partisan legislation and my opponent has never reached across the aisle.

Anonymous said...

Love it!! It's the only show Charlie will watch on TV. So we do it together (watch the show that is!!).

Give the girls my love!

Anonymous said...

ha ha... i sent luke over here... he loves talking politics. right up your alley!

aren't you glad you started a blog. now we communicate in some form almost everyday! :)

holly said...

It looks like a deal will be hammered out by tomorrow evening and hopefully pushed through congress by Friday or Monday. This recent collapse really gets down to a big topic: DISCIPLINE.

As consumers, I think those in the younger American generation (20-50) lack fiscal discipline and are overly willing to accumulate debt and live off of credit. In the good 'ole days, no one bought a house, unless they had 20% to put down up front. Now, we all do 0% down. We buy bigger houses than our parents and have stretched ourselves too thin. No savings, no "rainy day fund". We lack discipline as consumers (poor Stewards). And, when we are unable to pay our loans, we cry foul and look to someone else to blame for our lack of discipline.

As lenders, banks were pushed to approve loans so that every American could realize their dream of home-ownership. Then, they got greedy and began to approve just about everyone who applied for a loan, so as to not lose business to the next lender. The problem is many of those loans were suspect and had high likelihood of foreclosure. Lenders were not disciplined (debt ratios, etc.) and now we are left with the windfall.

So, can we all look at ourselves and accept SOME of the responsibility for these bad loans? My parents get sick to their stomach when they assume debt, yet Holly and I are much more willing to borrow and borrow.

By the way, this is Nate, posting under Holly's name.

Anonymous said...

OH MY!! Forget about "The Office"...let's watch more of the "BUSINESS TIME" video!!!! hahahha...did Nate mean to put that on your blog????

It's HILARIOUS but I can't get to it to leave a comment... ???

holly said...

OCDism - too funny, I was going to post tomorrow, but posted it early for like 2 minutes - you must have caught it then! Be on the lookout!

brandi - I know, aren't you proud I made it a week - and thanks for the giant idiot as I so appreciate is honesty.

@giantidiot- only time will tell, but I'm hoping it works to his advantage!

Unknown said...

So after you get that flat screen. You need to get an apple tv. They are awesome. It can be used as one of those digital picture frames,rent movies,songs from iTunes, shows from itunes.Its pretty stinking cool. Research it, you will know what i'm talking about.

Mamu Lou said...

Political stuff aside....the season premiere of The Office was fabulous!! It's also the only show I follow and love.

holly said...

By the way - I loved the premiere! What a great show!

And, I'm glad the debate happened; however, I have to say that it was rather bland. I think it is important to hear what they have to say, but seriously, I enjoy politics and I was bored! There needs to be a better format so that those that aren't interested can actually be motivated to watch...not sure how...