Thursday, January 15, 2009

Escape!

It's been a crazy week around here - the stomach bug invaded our house.  First, it wreaked havoc on Maddie Saturday, Alex got hit on Sunday (missed school on Monday), and Nate won a harrowing battle with it on Monday (in the operating room - um, yea, gross!).  So far, I'm clear, but am starting to feel a bit achey today - hopefully not a sign of things to come.  

Between the three of them being sick I have gotten little sleep, done at least 10 loads of laundry, cleaned the bathroom numerous times, and disinfected most of the house.  I didn't leave the house for 5 days.  To say I was a bit stir crazy is an understatement.  Tuesday night I hit my breaking point and HAD to leave.  I got the kids ready for bed, kissed them good night, and told Nate I was leaving and left them in his very capable hands.  I needed an escape.  An escape from the vomit, the whining, the clinging, the crying, etc.  An escape from being "mommy", always being needed, always being "on call", and always being the "go to girl".  I just wanted to get away.  I was reminded of the old "Calgon" commercials and could totally relate.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not whining - I love being mommy, but I'm a better mommy when I have a little "me time".

I have many ways of escaping.  Some I.R.T. (independent running time) is one of my favorites, but it was too cold and dark for that.  I could have headed to the gym, but was in need of a rest.  A movie is always a good option, but I wasn't in the mood.  Instead, I went to one of my very favorite escape places - a bookstore - Borders, to be exact.  I LOVE BOOKS!  As soon as I walked in I felt more relaxed.  I bought my over priced latte, and began to peruse the aisles - getting lost in the stories and histories and adventures of others.  I found a comfy chair and fed my latest obsession - restoring an old house - poring over tons of pictures and stories of other insane homeowners.  Three hours later I felt restored, rejuvenated, and ready to be "mommy" again.  Here are a couple of things I left with...

I want to see this movie, but I always prefer reading the book before I see anything - the books are always so much better.  It's a quick read (I already finished it), but very good.  The material is a bit morally questionable, yet you can't help but be drawn in.  To me, one of the marks of a good book is if it makes you think like the characters in the book - can you see the world through their eyes?  I get lost in good books - I see and feel the characters.  Nate often laughs at me as I either laugh at loud at passages or begin sobbing uncontrollably.  

I grabbed this one because I felt like it was time to revisit some classics - James, Wharton, Joyce, Bronte, Austen, etc. - things I've read before, but many years ago.  I'm beginning with "Pride and Prejudice" because I think it is a classic love story.  One of my favorite movies, Bridget Jones' Diary is centered around it, as well as my previous obsession - the Twilight series.  

I enjoy non-fiction as well - especially presidential biographies.  There are two right now that I would like to read, "Team of Rivals" about Abraham Lincoln, and "American Lion" about Andrew Jackson.  I'm on the waiting list at my local library.  However, I find that I can get lost in fiction easier because I'm not trying to think while I'm reading - I'm just enjoying the story.  

So, how do you escape when the demands of your world are just too overwhelming?
OR
Do you have any good book recommendations? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading is also my escape (which I have needed several times over the past 2 stressful weeks). I have started the Twilight series and am almost done with New Moon. Although I just don't get the fascination with Edward. He is moody and cold (not really a good combo in my opinion). Now Jacob on the other hand is kind, sincere and warm (much more my type). Obviously not being done yet I don't know the whole story, but I just don't get the whole Edward craze (even though I am enjoying the books). Books that I would recommend are: Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers (my favorite fiction book) and I also very much enjoyed the Rekindled/Revealed/Remembered series by Tamera Alexander. I love historical fiction (which is what these are).

I'm so glad to hear everyone is feeling better (and I'm hoping that you don't get it).

Anonymous said...

Reading is definitely escape for me... in fact maybe I should go do that now! I'm in need of some good fiction though. I've been in a drought since Twilight.