Monday, November 3, 2008

A "Nature"al High

As I have mentioned before - we LOVE fall! 

It is the most wonderful time of the year - we enjoyed our extra hour of beautiful weather yesterday - 75 degrees, slight breeze, and sunny skies. We took advantage of it by heading out to a newly discovered park: Creve Coeur Park, about 10 miles from us, for a "family run".  Maddie rides in the stroller while Nate pushes, Alex bikes, and I run - we've done this for the last year or so - in Nashville we had a trail near our house that we ran on quite often (thank you for paying your dues Riverwalkers!) - since moving, we've had to find some new routes.  We have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of parks and trails around here - this one was not an exception.  Here are some pics...
The 3.7 mile trail that went around the lake.
Stopping on the trail for a photo op.
An example of God's beauty known as fall.
After the run the girls were too busy digging in the sand and throwing rocks to pose for a picture.
Check out that arm!  (And take note of the sailboats in the background - beautiful!)

I love our "family runs" for numerous reasons - we get a workout in, the girls see us being active, we have our family time, and we get to enjoy the great outdoors.  Being healthy is a big deal for our family.  Being the mother of two young daughters I feel the added pressure of helping them grow up with a positive body image.  I have been amazed at how young girls already begin to obsess about weight, fat, and how they look - it is truly sad and frightening.  Young girls are bombarded with images and messages everyday about how they should look - and, yes, this even happens at the tender young age of six.   As a result I am VERY careful not to talk about dieting, losing weight, disliking body parts, etc. because I never want my girls to sense from me or Nate that they have to live up to an unrealistic standard of beauty.  Instead, we focus on eating healthy, making wise food choices, and exercising.  I also know that, as parents, we set the example for them; therefore we practice what we preach - we eat healthy and exercise and our runs are a perfect opportunity for us to demonstrate this to our children.

Our runs also provide ample time for conversation.  As we were running yesterday I had to mentally stop and listen to what our family was talking about.  Alex and I were in the lead and she was explaining to me how in her "Healthy Foods" book she saw a picture of the human heart and was surprised that it didn't look like the hearts she draws.  I thought that was quite insightful - we then talked about what the human heart looks likes, it's parts, and it's purpose.  

Meanwhile, I could overhear Maddie discussing the Trinity with Nate - she was telling him how there was only one true God with three parts, "God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit" (apparently she's paying attention at preschool).  She went on to explain how God created everything and how much he loves us, but she thinks he loves her the best. :)  Nate and I exchanged surprised glances as if to say "where did these kids come from?"   I try not to take these times for granted and I hope that I am building memories for my children.
 
It is times like these where I feel unbelievably grateful to the awesome God that I serve - our family is not perfect, the world is a scary place, and our future is uncertain - but, in the end I can rest assured that He is in control and through Him I rejoice in the fact that in His beauty I feel rejuvenated from a "natural high" and ready to face the world with whatever (or whoever, if you catch my drift) comes our way.   So on the eve of this historic election, I only have four words for you (and believe me I could write a dissertation on this topic right now):  May God bless America!

How do you find time for your family - what are you doing to stay connected with them?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a great post, Holly! We, too, have a rule in this house - we never talk about weight or the body. We don’t have scales and never complain about gaining or celebrate loosing pounds in our home. The other day I asked Oharah if she wanted the "skinny" straw and she asked, "What's skinny?" I looked at Charlie and said, "Well, at least we know we're doing a great job sticking with our convictions NEVER to talk about body image!"

Family time is my favorite time of all no matter where, when and how!

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

amen! love this post, love healthy attitude, love the healthy self-esteem you're raising your kids to have!

pete and i were a little shocked this fall when jett said he was going on a diet. we started just nonchalantly asking some questions and it ended up that he was doing a "football diet" because he had "training camp" coming the following week!

can't wait to read your wednesday morning blogpost!!! it's gonna be an exciting evening tomorrow night!

DEb said...

OHHHHHH!! I miss Creve Coeur Park!! I used to work the beer stand for the boat races they held there every June/July...I wonder if they still do that?? Probably not a place for kids though. Yeah, Karl used to do some "shady dealings" out there...(can I say that on a blog?) oh the memories of St.L...hahahhaa But you certainly help turn that around!! You're a FABULOUS MAMA!!

holly said...

As I wrote this, I didn't realize how many topics I was covering - exercise, family time, body image, election, etc. Thanks for listening to my jumbled mind. :)

@Eve - love the "skinny" straw story - good job!

@Brandi - thanks for the boy perspective - I know they have different pressures that are just as strong. I can't imagine the idea of Jett on a "diet". :) And, exciting doesn't even begin to describe my emotions about tomorrow night - I'm praying hard!!

@deb - it looks like a great place for a beer tent! :) Thanks for the kind words! You know you are welcome to visit anytime!

Anonymous said...

I got a feeling you could really benefit form a hike this morning after the election. :)

holly said...

@pete - we have been outside ALL DAY long - I feel completely refreshed and ready to face the challenges ahead! :)