Friday, May 8, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

So, yesterday was my mom's birthday.  

(Have you noticed a tardy theme with all my birthdays?  It's not like I've had a year to prepare...?)

These last couple of weeks have been busy as we prepare to buy our home in Wisconsin so blogging has gone by the wayside a bit - sorry.  However, I couldn't let the opportunity pass to wish my wonderful mother a public happy birthday.  So....

Happy Birthday Mom!  I love you!

I've seen my mom in me a lot lately - in the little things.  I favor my mom in looks so often I'll catch a glimpse of her when looking in the mirror.  We have similar mannerisms and habits.  I get my love of reading and history from her - I can scarcely remember a time growing up when she didn't have a book in her hand.  I catch myself listening to talk radio a lot lately - something I swore I would never do - something that my mom does daily.  I can remember shopping with her when I was younger (Prange Way sticks out in my mind) - she would see something that she liked and walk around with it for awhile, but inevitably would put it back and not spend the money on herself.  I do the same; however, I don't always put the item back!  Our hands are identical - just 30 years of difference and I suspect mine are a bit softer because I never did manual labor on a dairy farm for 5 years when I was in my thirties (that's a whole other story that I'm generally forbidden to mention.)  :-)

My mom is the most unselfish person that I have ever met.  She must be forced to do something for herself.  She was always available to me and my brothers and sisters.  She taught me to forgive others, to believe in myself, and to treat all people with respect.  She taught me how to be a mom - how to hold, rock, feed, and love a baby (despite popular belief, it's not always natural instinct that gets you through those first couple of weeks with a newborn - for me, it was my mom comforting me, letting my cry, and guiding me along).  She taught me to love unconditionally - by example.  In short, she taught me to be me.

People say that I remind them of my mom.

I'll take that as a compliment.

Happy Birthday Mom/Nana - we love you!!


No comments: