Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Do NOT mix...

Quick!  Name two things that do not mix!

Oil and water...

Fire and gas...

Liberals and common sense (oh, you know I had to throw that one in!!)...

Or, in my house...

...the most idiotic contraption ever invented and...


...me (with Maddie playing around on Photo Booth)!!

I despise ironing.  Hate is not even a strong enough word to convey my dislike of ironing. Seriously, I can count on two fingers the number of times that I have ironed this year (for those of you not so good in math, that would be twice).  I would rather do any other household chore than have to iron - scrub toilets, clean up vomit, wash the floor - you name it - I'd choose it before I chose to iron.

I hate it so much that I will often not wear something for months at a time just because it needs to be ironed.  For example, the tan pair of pants in the picture below - I like them a lot - they are comfy, lightweight, and the right length.  However, I haven't worn them since last May after they came out of the dryer - clean and wrinkled.  No desire to iron them.  Most of the time I don't even buy articles that have to be ironed because I know they will just sit in my closet - wrinkled.  

I usually wait until we visit my mom or Nate's mom (Barbie) and then have them iron it (as pathetic as this sounds they claim that they don't mind and I suspect get a kick out of the fact that I am so helpless in this area).  We are actually visiting this weekend, but I knew I wouldn't have time for Barb to iron for me before Friday morning.  Which leads me to my efforts this morning...

I had to iron my white pair of pants so I figured I may as well do the tan pair as well (a year later).  It took over an hour - for two pairs of non pleated straight leg pants.  Perhaps that is why I hate it so much - I am horrible at it!  

The before...

The after...

The white ones turned out all right, but the tan ones look like someone tried to iron them, but really didn't know what she was doing (which is exactly what happened).  I think I'll pack them with me and have Barb do them over the weekend. :)

Honestly, I think ironing, in general, is all a racket.  The minute you put the ironed article on and move around it gets wrinkled again - so really, what is the point unless you plan on standing still for the whole day?  

No, I don't iron Nate's clothes - that was part of the marriage agreement.  For those of you who pity him, let me just add that he was under no false pretenses that I would one day iron for him.  He had my word and so far, much to his chagrin, I've been able to keep it. :)  I do harbor a small fantasy that maybe one day I will like to iron when I have my "state of the art laundry room with top of the line appliances complete with a folding and ironing area".  However, I suspect that Barb will actually get more use out of that "ironing area" than me one day! :)

So, what job do you despise?




3 comments:

TMA said...

My mom irons for hours on end. I tell her to take it to the cleanrs but my dad is too picky...he doesn't like the job they do. I rarely iron...more like touchups a couple times per year. Chris has all non iron shirts and I try to hang them right out of the dryer but he still irons one almost every morning. I never iron his clothes and can usually get him to iron something of mine if I time it right. Either that or I wear it wrinkled. Those tan pants looked good enough for me to wear (before ironing). Besides, whats the point of ironing before packing? It just gets wrinkled once you fold it.

holly said...

@TMA - I love it - another iron hater!! :)

DEb said...

HAHAHAHA.....now THAT is funny! I NEVER iron, Karl has to iron his own clothes and he hates it too...we are actually breaking down and taking his clothes to the cleaners ($1.75 on EVERY item)..well worth it!!

btw, the white ones still have some wrinkles in them....HAHAHAHa