So, once again, I'm about a week late posting this. On April 18th, my firstborn, Alex, turned seven. Wow. How do I already have a seven year old? It seems unbelievable...
Her birthday weekend began at school on Friday, April 17th. First, she was able to wear the birthday crown all day, then her name was read over the loudspeaker, and finally, I was able to come in and deliver cupcakes to all her classmates.
Here she is with her teacher, Ms. Ray, as her class is singing "Happy Birthday" to her.
I firmly believe in making birthdays special for my kids. They may not always have a big party with lots of friends and family, but at the very least they can know that Mommy and Daddy are thinking about them and remembering the day that we were blessed with their entrance into the world. By tradition, on birthday mornings, I wake up the birthday girl, with a cupcake and candle. This year Alex was anticipating it and didn't get out of bed until after I came into the room. When I walked into her room she was sitting up in her bed with a huge smile, singing, "today, I'm seven, today, I'm seven!!!!" We then sang "happy birthday" to her and let her blow out her candle and eat her cupcake for breakfast!
This is what she found when she left her bedroom - the house decorated in her honor.
This is her in her birthday outfit that she had picked out.
Maddie's presents to her - "Toy Dance Party" complete with a webkinz that looks a lot like one of the main characters, Lumphy. (If any parents haven't read these books to their kids, I would highly recommend it - they are incredibly creative and funny!)
Her wish came true - she received a Nintendo DS from Mommy and Daddy - it only took two years of begging. She was truly surprised as I think she figured I would never give in and had stopped asking after Christmas - I love surprising her!
One of her buddies from school, Izzy, came over and we all went to the see the "Hannah Montana" movie - it was very cute and the girls loved it! Afterward we downloaded the CD and they danced away in their room.
Izzy bought her a scrapbook to record her time here in St. Louis. (Can you tell that Maddie loves hanging with her big sissy and friend?)
As I did for Maddie, here is my letter to Alex...
Dear Alexandria Lindell,
Seven? Really, are you already seven? How did that happen? How did seven years go by in a blink of an eye? How did you go from being a precious, good natured little baby to a happy, energetic 1st grader? How could you snuggle comfortably in the crook of my arm to barely being able to fit on my lap? Where does the time go?
These are age old questions that all parents ask themselves - the answers are never easy as it is a tremendous joy to watch your child grow, but that joy is accompanied by a deep sorrow in realizing that you will never get that time back. You are such an incredible little girl - you have brought your daddy and I so much joy - everyday - there isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank God for you. It is a wonderful gift to be your mommy - a gift that I don't deserve for I'll never understand what I did right in having you as my daughter. You have such a sweet spirit - you are kind to everyone that you meet and are an inspiring example to Maddie - she is lucky to have you as her "big sissy". You are warm and compassionate, funny and engaging, cuddly and bubbly, and serious and concerned. You delight me!
I love our time together - our walks to and from school - our simple hand squeeze to say "I love you" - our late night talks - our cuddles on the couch - even our arguments and spats. I am so proud of how much you have grown this last year - physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. It was very difficult leaving Nashville last summer, yet you handled the move and all the changes that came with it wonderfully. It was almost as if you realized, "well, I better make the most of it" and you dove in to new friends and experiences despite knowing that we will be moving yet again in less than a year. Your daddy and I hate that we have to move in the middle of the school year, but you have assured us that you will be fine. When discussing whether or not me and you and Maddie should move early so you can start your 2nd grade year in Wisconsin you so maturely stated, "sometimes the easiest thing to do isn't always the right thing to do. We need to stay together as a family."
You are a most amazing daughter and I treasure my time with you. You are so easy to be around and are wise beyond your years. I look forward to the young lady that you are to become even though I wish I could freeze you as you are now.
Here are a few of my favorite birthday memories...
Waking up to a birthday candle on your 3rd birthday. We had your party the day before and you spent most of it running away from your friends and presents because you hated being the center of attention. :)
At your Dora party when you were 4 years old. This year you liked opening your presents a little bit more. :)
After a party at Build - A - Bear we had pizza, cake and ice cream for your 6th birthday.
I love you beyond words and I am so lucky to be your mommy. I eagerly anticipate all the wonderful memories still waiting to happen. Happy Birthday sweetheart!
Love,
Mommy
5 comments:
Man, I miss you guys! Happy birthday Alex!
happy, happy birthday alex!!! we missed celebrating with you this year.
next time you visit bring your DS, you and jett can sync and play games together... and text each other, jett and gage love that part!
miss all 4 of you!!!!
SERIOUSLY HOLLY!!!!!!!!!!!?????? I dropped tears ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD!!
You are the best mama....EVER!
BTW...HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALEX!!!!
Happy birthday sweet Alex. You've always been such a little lady, precious, gracious, lovely and beautiful. You're special. We all miss you!
Holly, what a wonderful and amazing letter that your daughter will treasure forever. You're an awesome mom.
Love Much!
Alex,
You are an amazing young lady and I will always love you, your sister and your mother to the best of my abilities. You have always been able to understand things and situations beyond your years. We know that all of this moving is difficult, yet you have eased all of our tension by the way you have effortlessly adapted to every situation.
I love you my sweet 7 year old!
Daddy
Post a Comment