I thought the periodic table of elements was complete - but, apparently, not...
The only thing that I would add is that the ignorant quietly watch and pretend as if nothing is wrong.
Let's not forget that the government of the United States was created "by the people" - your representatives are to act as your voice - if you are happy that this administration is tripling the debt then do nothing. After all, it doesn't affect you - only your children and grand children. If you don't care that North Korea has promised to launch "something, somewhere" in the next couple of days, by all means, do nothing - instead worry about the detainees at Guatanamo Bay and whether or not they are being treated fairly as they plot to take down the U.S. If you don't care that the government can now determine salaries for executives in a free enterprise system, then, again, do nothing. If you don't care that the Constitution is being stretched and misinterpreted to fit the current whims, again, do nothing.
This has nothing to do with whether you are liberal or conservative, left or right, or democratic or republican. It has to do with the fact that millions of Americans are turning a blind eye to the so-called "change" in this country. Millions believe the hype that they are too stupid to know any better, too small to make a difference, or too busy to care. Many believe the idea that government knows what is best for them - that government is the solution and not the problem.
Too many have bought into the idea that it is no longer politically correct to be proud of this great country, that because of our greatness we somehow have to be ashamed. Because of our rich history we have to apologize. Because we take a stand against terror we are evil. Because we value our morals we are bigots. Because we are rich we are oppressive. Because we look out for our best interest we are blind to the consequences of our actions. Because we disagree with the current president, we are racist.
I don't buy it. There is no other country that I would choose to live in - the United States is the most generous of all countries in the world. We are the most tolerant. We are the most humane. That is nothing to be ashamed of. Have we made mistakes? Yes. Are we perfect? No. However, defending your country, doesn't mean you condone all actions - past, present, and future. What it does mean, is that you use your power, your voice, your actions to keep this country great. It means that you don't take your freedoms for granted because you will quickly see them disappear. It means that you leave the next generation a better future. It means that regardless of political affiliation you stick to your morals.
I didn't mean for this to get so long. Perhaps I feel so strongly about the current situation because I did nothing while the Bush Administration got us into a war with no exit strategy. I did nothing when the Republican party lost their conservative values. I did nothing while I watched friends buy houses that they couldn't afford, bought things on credit, and then complained when the market crashed. I'm not perfect, far from it, however, I accept responsibility for my mistakes, my misjudgment, and my debt. I don't need or want "big brother" fixing it for me. This time I refuse to do nothing. I will educate myself, write to my representatives, and speak my mind regardless of it is popular or not. I urge you to do the same - whether you agree or disagree with me - do not lose your voice, do not lose your freedoms, and do not lose your nerve.
...stepping off the soapbox now...
By the way, I completely stole the above "element" - it was a reader's response ("azheatwave") after an article I read the other day about Barney Frank pushing to set salary caps for those who have received government aid (don't fool yourself into thinking it will stop there).
Any thoughts?
6 comments:
Could I love you any more?
In this era of difficult times, people have to make difficult decisions to stay afloat. Business owners and schools are making difficult decisions to cut their costs, lay people off, etc.
Why should the federal and state governments not play by the same rules?
My biggest beef with President Bush was that he did not behave in a conservative manner with the way he spent money. He will go down in history as a Nixon/Eisenhower Republican spender.
Further, I think his lack of foresight when invading Iraq is now obvious. As you mentioned, he had no exit strategy. I watched the debates with him vs. Al Gore in November 2000 and at that time he vowed to never commit US troops without a clear objective/exit strategy and that he would never engage in "nation building". He violated both of those promises.
But now, his successor is about to make Bush look like a tight-wad, from a spending standpoint. Step one in socialism is to get everyone to eat at the trough...that has started with AIG/banks/auto industry. As soon as they accept the "free money" they find out soon after that it is not "free". They must now run their business according the the whims of the elected politic. AIG, et al brought this upon themselves and should be allowed to fail.
My final point. I have had to rethink some things lately. While I generally favor limited government, if a business is allowed to grow to the point where it becomes "too big to fail", now we have a real problem. I believe this represents a national security threat at that point. So, perhaps a company should not be allowed to grow so large that it needs taxpayer bailout during tough times. I do not know how to legislate that, however.
I love my wife and hope she represents a new generation of level-headed conservatives who believe that government should play by the same fiscal rules that every family must obey. Financial stewardship is a critical issue that will lead to a more substantive conservative resurgence.
i love when you get on a soapbox.... i can totally see you delivering this in person! ;) miss you!!!
@Nate VZ - VanZeeland/VanZeeland in 2012? :)
@Brandi - it's been hard for me to step off the soap box the last 3 months. I pray that I am wrong and maybe even overreacting, but at this moment I don't see how that is possible.
Miss you too!
Preach it girl!
Soooo- You seem to feel somewhat indifferent to this. :D
Hey Holly-I love it! You are right! let me know how the house hunt went. I am so curious!!
Post a Comment