Alex lost yet another tooth last week - that's three now. She has two growing in to replace the lost ones and also a molar coming in the back.
Ouch. Surely, she's not old enough for that yet..?
We have spent the last two mornings "fighting" because she can't decide what to wear.
She's six, not sixteen.
I bought her some cute t-shirts from Old Navy on Monday - she doesn't like them.
I had to take them back.
She now has a very strong opinion of what she wants to wear - what's cool, what's appropriate, or what's dorky.
Again, she's six, not sixteen.
Perhaps the hardest part of my realization came this morning as I was dropping her off at school. It was a gorgeous morning - the sun was shining, the birds were singing, and we were laughing - we were able to walk and she rode her bike. We got to school a little bit early - the doors weren't open yet (typically this doesn't happen, but today was a "late start" day so we had an extra hour in the morning). Students were crowding around the door eagerly waiting for them to open.
She stood away from me. Not a lot, but noticeable to me.
When the doors opened she ran into school - without saying good bye or looking back. My "have a great day, honey" fell on deaf ears.
She was gone - lost in the chaos and energy of elementary students.
I found myself losing my composure - I made sure my sunglasses completely hid the tears welling up in my eyes, took a deep breath, and turned away.
I turned my attention to Maddie, now 4, who was unaware of my competing emotions. My overwhelming love for my children, my complete gratitude for being able to "stay at home" with them, my immense joy at watching them continuously learn all coupled with my crushing sadness at watching them grow up - too quickly.
One enters into parenthood knowing that children grow up - for me, it was this fact that allowed me to want a second one (and hopefully more one day) - they learn to sleep through the night, use the toilet, talk clearly, walk without falling, buckle themselves in the car, and independently dress. But, there is a part of me that yearns for them to stop growing after a certain level of independence - I want to freeze them as they are now. As much as I look forward to certain aspects of their adolescence, teenage years, and adulthood, I fear that I won't be able to recall the way that they needed me, the way that they fit into my arms, or the sound of their laughter echoing through the house...
...already I struggle to remember when they looked like this...Alex had just turned 3 and Maddie was 2 months...
...how will I remember them in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?
I should mention that the day ended on a high note. After school Alex ran into my arms on the playground and happily told me about her day. We enjoyed a "family snuggle" on the couch before bed. Both of them requested a so-called "mommy special" tuck in at bedtime. I will file these memories away somewhere safe in my head where age and time can not touch them.
They are mine.
So, what was it for you? What event or milestone made you realize that time goes way too quickly?
5 comments:
when jett wrote his name for the first time and it actually was really his name... i had to go to the bathroom because i was crying so hard. i'm always saying i want to freeze mine too, life goes by too quickly!
When they hold your hand and not your finger.
Chris always says he is going to put a brick on their head if they don't stop growing. They just laugh.
My daughter does the same thing at drop off and actually rolls her eyes and sighs if I try to hug her or say goodbye. She is also 6...ugh!
holly--first i didn't know you had a blog
second--i'm sitting here almost in tears reading that! it was so true and touching. zane (my youngest) is already so grown up to me and he's only 1.5. i finding myself wanting another baby just to remember the beginning again. they grow up so fast, i take tons of pictures!
reagan
HOLLY!!! This totally tore me up... as I remember (and still have) those days. Kyla was a VERY strong-willed child at 2 !! She stopped letting me do her hair at 3 AND told ME what she would/would not wear at 3 too!!! It's been downhill since then... at least you have the littlest one to "comfort" you... I have no one. Now, I just pray and hope for the comfort of GRANDBABIES!! hahahha...but not TOO soon!
@Brandi - I can relate to crying in the bathroom! :)
@TMA - your comment struck me yesterday as Maddie was holding my finger in the parking lot - I'm going to treasure it.
@Reagan - your new blog is a great way to document - it's the main reason I started this one.
@Deb - I've always wanted lots of kids so that when the youngest is grown the oldest will have started to have my grandchildren by then! however, hopefully that is at least 20 years away!
Post a Comment