As I was driving I received a phone call from a local number that I did not recognize. I thought that perhaps it was from our realtor who was calling to confirm our appointment the next day. When I answered, I was in for a surprise...
The caller told me his name and told me that he was at my house (proceeded to recite my in-law's address) and that he had a "foil arrangement" for me. The rest of the conversation went something like this...
Me: "You have a what? I'm not sure what you are talking about."
Him: "I have a delivery - a foil arrangement - where would you like me to leave it?"
Me: "I'm sorry, but I don't know what you are talking about. I don't live there, that is my in-law's address, I actually live in Missouri, but am currently driving to Green Bay. You will have to talk to my in-laws to figure out how to deliver it."
There was a slight pause on his end.
Him (clearly confused): "OK, but the delivery is specifically addressed to you."
I'm dumbfounded, truly I have no idea what this is about. I don't even know what a "foil arrangement" is. For a second I thought that maybe my mother-in-law ordered some balloons for Maddie's party on Sunday - that was the only possibility that went through my head.
Me: "Um, OK, I'm really confused, I have no idea what is going on. My mother-in-law didn't tell me anything about this and I'm not going to that address - I'm driving to Green Bay."
Him: "Well, how would you like me to deliver the arrangement? Would you like me to come back later with the flowers?"
OK, now it starts to click - albeit, not correctly. So it is NOT a "foil" delivery, but a "flower" delivery - I was foiled by the northern accent (pun intended)! This only leads to more confusion. Who would be sending me flowers?
I have NO IDEA.
Me: "Oh - you have flowers for me?! Hmmm, do you know who they are from? because honestly, I have no idea."
Him (you can tell he's beginning to get a bit frustrated, after all it is the day before Valentine's Day and he is delivering the traditional flowers and probably has a zillion more routine deliveries to make): "Ma'am, I don't know. There is a card. Would you like me to open it?"
Me: "Yes, please, I honestly have no idea who would be sending me flowers - I am so very confused at the moment."
Him: "OK, just a second, let me open the card."
There is silence for the next minute or so. In my head, I just can not make sense of what is going on. I should note that the last time I received flowers for Valentine's Day was back in high school from an ex-boyfriend. I was beginning to wonder if perhaps he still held a flame, found me on facebook, found out that I was going to be in Wisconsin, and decided to send me flowers. But, at my in-laws? How strange was that? I was beginning to sweat - how would I deal with that awkward situation? I hadn't thought about him in years and years. As strange as it sounds, that was the only scenario that I could think of. It was the only one that even remotely made a little bit of sense.
I begin to brace myself for the awkwardness of the situation as he makes his way back to the phone.
Him: "OK, are you ready? Just a second, it says, 'Holly, Alex, and Maddie: I miss you all very much already! However, I want my ladies to know that you are all precious to me...' "
He continues to read the very personal note attached - from Nate.......
my husband........
oh................
Him: "Does that help?"
Me (chagrined): "Ohhhhh, well, yeah, I guess, I mean, yeah, that is from my husband! You must think me an idiot, but I've known him for 14 years and I have NEVER received flowers from him - ever. I am truly blown away - he really surprised me."
Him (chuckling a bit): "Well, I guess he got you. Now, how would you like me to handle the delivery?"
We proceeded to make delivery arrangements - he would deliver them to my father-in-law's place of business who would later deliver them to me. All in all the mysterious flowers would change hands and addresses four times that weekend - all in order to get them to me and back in St. Louis. Confusing, no?
I should mention that Nate got a good laugh about the whole thing as I was retelling him later in the day. He was immensely proud of himself for pulling one over on me, had no hard feelings about the thoughts of the ex-boyfriend, and, I think, truly pleased that he had successfully surprised me.
They were beautiful - he even remembered that I despise roses - so generic. They were a "wildflower arrangement" - just what I love. These are not the real flowers. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of them - you would think that I would have remembered to document the actual flowers, right? Oh well...
So, I guess, the next time I receive flowers (14 years from now), I'll know that they are from my husband. :)
Has your spouse ever done anything that completely caught you by surprise, in a good way?

6 comments:
What a sweet and funny story. My husband suprised me once with a new ipod. I kept complaining about my little 2gb ipod and how i had to keep deleting old stuff to put new stuff on it. One day he went to best buy and bought me a 8gb, no occasion, no holiday-just, i guess, thinking about me!
That is the beauty of setting the bar low. I learned from my dad and father-in-law.
What I lack in romance, I try to make up for with genuine love for my wife and daughters.
Way to go Nate!
Merlyn sent me chocolate covered strawberries for our anniversary this year. Huge surprise because he usually doesn't do that type of thing.
@willcook - an ipod is an awesome surprise!!
@Nate - I've known from the start how unromantic you are, but I've never doubted you genuine love for me or our daughters - thanks for the flowers. :)
@Jenni - yummy strawberries - happy anniversary!
The ONLY time BJ ever got me flowers surprised me as well. He was at the golf course in Kingston Springs and he had planted a field of wild flowers for the course and when they were in full bloom(mothers day I think) he picked a huge bouquet and brought them home in a vase with a card. I was stunned. He knows I don't really like getting flowers but the fact that he planted those seeds, watched them grow and picked them himself was amazing and I loved them.
Post a Comment