Thursday, February 19, 2009

Happy Birthday Maddie

This post is a few days late - Maddie turned 4 last Sunday.  We were visiting friends and family in Wisconsin so we had her birthday party there.  (A huge thank you to my mother-in-law, Barb (aka "Grandma") for hosting and getting everything ready!!)  I like to wake the girls with a cupcake and candles on the morning of their birthday.  Unfortunately, Sunday morning I was with friends in Milwaukee and the girls were up north with Grandma and Papa so I wasn't able to do that.  However, Alex saved the day (with a little help from Grandma) and played "Mommy" that morning - she woke her with a huge cinnamon roll and a birthday song.  Thanks Alex!!

Here she is with Grandma's lipstick.  Whenever Grandma kisses the girls she leaves a lipstick kiss (you can see the traces on her right cheek) - Maddie wanted to leave one on her face. 


The birthday girl with her balloons.

She needed some help from "Big Sissy" when blowing out her candles.  Lucky for them, Papa Lloyd was near by and demonstrated his excess of hot air by quickly extinguishing the flame. :)

Unfortunately, Daddy couldn't be with us so we "skyped" him. :)

The following is a letter that I have written to Maddie - just to let her know how special she is to me.

Dear Madeline Grace,

I can't believe that you are already 4 years old!  As most parents recognize and lament, time goes way too fast.  This last year has been full of changes for our family, but I want you to know that my love for you has never wavered.  You bring me (and the rest of our family) so much joy.  You have a way of making me laugh even when I'm not in a laughing mood.  You can make me smile just by glancing at me.  And you can make me realize how lucky I am just with one quick cuddle from your warm little body.  

Your imagination is beyond compare - as evidenced by the fact that we had to spend 15 minutes looking for your stuffed dog, Rosie, who was "calling to you" before we could leave the house today.  You can turn on your "English" accent at a moment's notice and refer to me formally as "Mother" as if addressing the queen.  

You are so smart - I realize that almost all parents will say that about their child, but truly you blow me away with how quickly you catch on to things.  You were clearly reciting your ABC's at 18 months, skillfully playing UNO at 2, and legibly writing your name by 3.  I can't imagine what the next year holds for you.  You are intuitive and can sense when the mood in the room needs to be changed.  You typically do this by performing some sort of stand up comedy routine that involves a "booty shake" and the words "poo poo" and "potty" (which, apparently never get old or non funny) - all we need is one dose of Maddie and we are all laughing again.  I remember this last summer when Daddy left for India for two weeks.  Your sister and I were pretty upset when we dropped him off at the airport knowing that we wouldn't see him for a while.  You immediately launched into an incredibly humorous and creative story about "Rosie" and how you adopted her.  We stopped at Old Navy on the way home and you carelessly and uninhibitedly danced and danced around the store until we couldn't stop laughing (as well as anyone else who saw you).  You live to make others smile.  You are good at it.  

As easy going as you are, you also display some of my own characteristics, much to my chagrin.  You can be stubborn (and I swear I have no idea where you get it from!) and if you don't want to do something, you don't budge.  For instance, you hate cleaning up your Barbies and Polly Pockets.  You hate it so much that you will take the punishment (not playing with them for weeks at a time) instead of just cleaning them up.  You have never tried a piece of bread.  That's right, you are 4 years old and have yet to try a piece of bread - be it toast, a sandwich, or even French Toast.  Something about bread makes you cringe (with no experiential data) and you refuse to even try it.  Same thing for most vegetables.  If you don't want to be acknowledged or answer when you hear your name, you simply ignore it.  Actually, you can be quite infuriating at times.  Lucky for me, generally you are quite agreeable and we rarely "butt heads".

As you continue to grow I know that you are going to outgrow some of your cute little quirks.  Although you speak clearly for some reason you still can't say "more".  For you it comes out as "morn".  "Remember" is another difficulty - you say "bemember".  I've stopped trying to correct it because it it is just way too endearing.  You are the best snuggler and will stop whatever you are doing for a "super dooper pooper hug" or a quick smooch, much to my delight.  God has given me many blessings - you, your "big sissy" and Daddy are at the top of the list - and I try hard not to take you for granted.  Only too soon will I be trying to recall the sound of your laugh, your animal voices, or your contented sigh as we snuggle.  I thank God for you - everyday.  I love you!

xoxo,
Mommy

8 comments:

DEb said...

That was the sweetest letter I've ever read.... makes me wish I would have done that w/Kyla through every single year... why didn't you suggest that WAY back in the "original" mom's meetings we used to be in?????? GOSH HOLLY!!!!

pS Really?? NO bread? And I thought KYLA'S eating habits were "different".. glad to know I'm still a good mom, no matter what she eats!

Anonymous said...

Good grief, Holly! Quit making me cry! I love that precious girl and all her crazy quirks. I can't believe she does an English accent - I've got to hear that. She and I are kindred spirits on so many levels. :)

Happy Birthday Maddie! We love you!

Anonymous said...

happy, happy, happy late birthday maddie!!! we love you!!!

beautiful letter, holly! let's talk soon!

holly said...

Thanks ladies!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Maddie! What a sweet, sweet letter.

Mamu Lou said...

Happy Birthday Maddie!! I can't believe you're already 4~ how time flies. We hope you had a great day and love and miss you! Love- Ms. Laura, Mr. Drew and your little brother Caleb.

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful and special. What an amazing gift to give your amazing daughter.

Happy (late) birthday dear awesome, wonderful, sweet, loving Maddie!

Love and miss you girls :)

gbordzifamily said...

Happy Birthday Maddie! I can't believe she's 4! When I first met her she was crawling around my mom's living room.

I'm glad you like our new blog decor. I actually stole the Cutest Blog on the Block idea from you!