Sunday, February 1, 2009

Family Slumber Party

Any idea what the picture below represents?   


Chocolate brownies, gummi worms, popcorn, and balloons...? They have the making for a great party, but the most important object in the pictures is what's inside of the glass jar.  In order to party hardy at the VZ residence the girls must first earn it.  How, you ask?  Simply by earning "marbles" (in this case some sort of glass vase filler disks because I can't find marbles anywhere!).  

I have been blessed with incredible children who are usually very well behaved (if I may say so myself).  However, in an effort to have them continue their good behavior, especially in public places, we have instituted the following system (which I certainly did not make up on my own)...

...Anytime they are complimented on their behavior - by a stranger, waiter, teacher, etc. - they earn a "marble".  They choose a realistic goal (the number of marbles) and then choose what their reward will be (a movie, party, special dessert, etc.).  When they attain that goal they get rewarded.  Pretty simple, right?  Call it positive reinforcement...0r bribery...either way, it works for us!

So, throw in the treats pictured above, a few balloons, rearrange the furniture, blow up the aerobed, start the movie, and you've got yourself a VanZeeland family slumber party!


The girls chose "Lady and the Tramp" to watch.  They loved the idea of sleeping on the mattress with their sleeping bags in the living room.  

Here we are enjoying our dessert - chocolate brownies with peppermint ice cream - yummy! 
(If any of the Henns are reading this...yes! that is my "quillow" that you made for me over 15 years ago - I still love it and use it all the time!)

(I couldn't resist putting this picture in - she is just too cute!)

The idea was to sleep on the mattress, but someone had another idea - I had no objections!

How sweet is that?!?  We eventually transferred Maddie to her bed and Nate decided his bed was a better option for him - which left...

...me and my Alex!!  We stayed up late watching "house shows" on HGTV - she thought I was the "best mom in the world"!  Have I mentioned how much I love this girl?!?

This party took 10 marbles - their new goal is 16 - we haven't decided the reward yet, but we have lots of ideas!

How are you rewarding your kids' good behavior?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to steal this idea (and give you all the credit!). What a great way to do a family night and reward the girls.

Anonymous said...

Now that I know your system I'm going to compliment them every chance I get :)

gbordzifamily said...

Way too cute and such a great idea...I'll surely have to keep this in mind for the Gbordzi family future! I can't believe the quillo is still intact. My mom does good work! I'm glad all of you had a special night.

holly said...

My great friend, Nicki, just sent me over 400 marbles!! Maybe the girls need to work a little harder? :) Thanks Nick!!