Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My Love/Hate Relationship

As a nature lover, I will never be able to get over the beauty of a fresh snowfall.  To see everything covered in a blanket of snow is to see yet another example of God's amazing handiwork.  Take a look at the snowfall that awaited us one morning while back in Wisconsin...


The girls, of course, were besides themselves and couldn't wait to get outside and play.  Being "southern girls" for the last 5 years this may have been the most snow that they had ever seen at one time (it was only about 2 - 3 inches, which truthfully would have shut Nashville down for at least 2-3 days).  Here is Alex making a snow angel.

And here is our attempt at a snow man - again, not a lot of snow, but enough for a very small snow man.  We made a bit of fun of my dad as he has loads of deer antlers and other assorted animal parts in the garage freezer (don't ask) so we gave our snow man some antlers - a pretty nice rack!
I LOVE snow for many reasons:

- It is beautiful - if you can see it from strictly an aesthetic view you can agree.
- It elicits screams of glee from my children.
- It is associated with many childhood memories - snowball fights, building snowmen, slides, and igloos.
- As a former teacher, I can speak with some honesty here - snow days are the best!!
- It creates an extraordinary sound - listen to it if you never have - whether just listening to it fall or hearing it crunch as you walk - amazing!

However, I also HATE snow for many reasons:

- Driving - because of some forecasted snow storms in northern Illinois, I had to wait a day to get back to St. Louis.  Which worked out fine, but I haven't had to plan my driving around weather in 5 years - I was frustrated for a while.
- Slush.  As snow is beautiful, slush is unbelievably ugly and wet and dirty and disgusting - totally despicable.
- Shoveling.  Again, I haven't had to shovel in over 5 years - we'll see how much I like early "beautiful" snow falls in a few months. :)
- Disrupting plans.  I'm a planner and I don't like anything to interfere with my plans - I can adjust, but I won't be happy about it!

I'm excited at the prospect of snow this year, but perhaps that's only because I have been removed from it for so long - yes, my Nashville friends, Nashville does not get snow regardless of what you believe or "think" counts as snow. :)  I may change my tune at the end of winter, but for now, I say, "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow"!!!

Do you have any love/hate relationships in your life?  



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're back!!!

love your new snowy blog look! :)

we were in toledo for thanksgiving and didn't get ANY snow... the boys were so disappointed. had a few flurries in nashville on monday maybe that is a good sign of more to come!

miss you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! I want some snow.