Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Oh Tannenbaum...

Last Saturday we picked out our Christmas tree at our local tree farm (read: parking lot of Home Depot). I look forward to decorating our tree more and more every year.  There is a large part of me that yearns to have a "themed" or "trendy" tree; however, the mom in me loves the hokey home made ornaments that adorn our tree.  When Nate and I purchased our first tree 9 years ago all the ornaments were store bought and quite generic.  As our family and friends have grown those ornaments have slowly been replaced by ornaments with meaning. Almost every one now has either a story behind it or some pudgy toddler hands lovingly creating a "surprise" for mommy.  It is so fun to relive our life as we hang our memories on the tree.  Here are some examples...

What mom doesn't have the "doily" handprint ornament?  Alex enjoyed seeing how much her hand had grown since she was 3 - I silently cried that she is already 6 and one day will be even older!

Picture ornaments are my favorite - I love looking back to see how much they have changed - Alex is 20 months in this picture.  Incidentally, the "bubble lights" on the tree are there because they remind Nate of his grandmother's tree growing up.

The personalized Green Bay Packer ornament was given to us by him and her our first Christmas in Nashville - 2003.  It was just Nate, Alex, and I - we need an updated one (hint, hint).  The pink bunny in the front was "purchased" with my "five finger discount" when I was about 6 from one of my parent's friend's house - I hear about it every year.

This reindeer I won at her party last year - so sorry I'll be missing it this year.  Miss you girls!

St. Nick brings the girls an ornament every year (so one day they can put them all on their tree - thoughtful, man, that St. Nick) - he brought Alex this one last year because she loved snow globes.

He left them these ornaments this year (left in the mailbox because Alex was terrified that he might come into the house!).  She was later thrilled that he knew she was an oompa loompa in the Willy Wonka school presentation last month; hence the lollipop!  Maddie, she's happy with anything resembling candy.  Amazing how he knows that stuff!

Here is how it turned out - beautiful and very meaningful to us!  (And I think the shiny, plastic windows add so MUCH to the atmosphere!) :)

So, are you a "themer" or a "traditionalist" when it comes to decorating your tree?


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose the theme of our tree is 'kids' now! :) I used to decorate it in matching everything before the boys.

We have that reindeer ornament on our tree too. Heath's boss gives the boys an ornament every year and she gave that to Joel last year!

DEb said...

LOOK AT THESE TWO SWEET GIRLS!! I tell ya, they look like they belong in the Candy Land game!! :)

Anonymous said...

you know i'm all about homemade ornaments too! just bought the supplies for the ornament we're making this year yesterday!

gbp ornament... seems like we just bought it yesterday!

Mandy said...

We do the "traditional" home-made tree as well. My fancy tree dwindled over the past 2years as Grace was given many and made quite a few. This year for an added memory all of the ornaments are on the top half of the tree. Grace never touched one...Miles is a whole different story!

Anonymous said...

I'll be coming by on January 1st to pick up your tree for recycling. :)

holly said...

@Pete - that made me laugh! I've heard that the Mississippi (right on your way back home) is in need of some "fish habitat" - so thankful that you can help! :)

Mamu Lou said...

Tradition all the way- see my latest post! Love this post by-the-way. It's so fun to know how everyone celebrates the holidays differently.