Here's how it turned out - 2 stay in St. Louis and 3 go to Wisconsin (someone voted twice because she felt torn between having a hectic, traveling holiday because she is the one who does all of the planning, preparing, packing, and present purchasing - how's that for alliteration? - vs. having a quiet, relaxed, lazy Christmas at "home" - can you guess who voted twice?). And one little girl was torn because she wasn't sure what Santa would do if we weren't at our house on Christmas morning.
To break the tie we enlisted the help of some family. Alex called Grandma and Papa Van Zeeland to explain our "troubled situation" - they overwhelmingly said "YES, come home!". Maddie then called Papa Chaffey (couldn't get a hold of Nana) who happened to answer his phone while in his tree stand. He also voted a cautious YES - dependent on weather - and also voted for Nana, YES. We then called Auntie Dana and Uncle Al - who also voted YES.
After we talked with them, we revoted as a family and now it stands at 10 in favor of going to Wisconsin and 0 in favor of staying St. Louis. So, Wisconsin, here we come (weather willing)!
However, we still have the "Santa" issue. What does Santa do when you aren't actually at your house on Christmas morning?
The girls decided to write him a letter and ask him to come early, if possible. Here it is, along with their pictures.
Here is what is says:
"Dear Santa,
Our family has decided to go to Wisconsin for xmas. We were wondering if you could come early to our house in St. Louis. If you can't come early you can come while we are gone, you will just have to have a bottle of water or help yourself to the milk in the fridge. Thank you!
Love,
the girls"
Ahhhh...isn't that sweet? Apparently, they didn't want him to drink stale milk!
So, any hints - what should "Santa" do - come early or come while we are gone? Truly, at a loss here - would welcome some suggestions.
And FYI: Santa is not at the center of Christmas for us - Jesus is - however, we still have a lot of fun with Santa who always leaves the girls a letter about remembering the true reason for Christmas - Jesus' birth.
9 comments:
The year we went to Phoenix "Santa" (our neighbors) came and put the presents under the tree so they'd be there when the girls got back, they left Santa a note telling them they were in Phoenix.
Santa did come to Grandma and Grandpa too...
We left our Santa presents at home.
That had to be a tough vote!! Every year Marilyn tries to talk us into coming up to Phoenix for Christmas but we love being home and in our jammies all day...now on the Sat. after Christmas, David's parents, brother and his family come to our house and we do our Christmas then!! :)
Happy travels---
Santa could leave the presents at your house while you are gone, but personally I've always believed Santa knows where you are on Christmas and surprises you there. Rmember he can see everything. He could just find them there. Aside from packing space, that would be my vote. Good luck!
I love that you are going back to WI to visit family! How fun! I say let Santa come early...then they can choose one thing to take back to WI to show what Santa brought them. You can even take pictures or a video and let the girls show off all of their new things.
You are too funny! I just love your family! So glad you're going back home - nothing like it!! I'll pray for good weather!
Can I just say, your Santa letter tradition is AWESOME!! So very cool and creative! We have a birthday party for Jesus and the kids think it's so wonderful they get gifts for His b-day!!! Our kids are at such the perfect age for Christmas - I could freeze them all!!!!!!
Well we use to go home to WI as well and Santa was an issue. What we did was have Diego write a letter to Santa to let him know where he'd be. I then did all the shopping early and shipped a box to my parents where we were staying. That way Santa presents were there for him to open on Christmas morning. He was so excited that Santa found him. Good luck - we just don't go home for Christmas anymore because it is hectic and the weather is so unpredictable for flying. Have a fun and safe holiday!
Ummm... why wasn't Nashville in the vote for where you were going for Christmas? There are two bedrooms here just waiting for you!! :)
Ahh...the traveling at Christmas time dilemma!! I agree that Santa just "knows" where you are no matter where that may be!
We stuck to our guns this year and decided to go out to UT to visit the family early this year and be home in TN for Christmas day. I am a little sad to miss the whole big family get together but more excited to have a quiet family Christmas at our house. Good luck, whatever you decide to do about Santa. Give the girls a big hug and kiss from us!
You'll be so glad you went home!
Alex and Maddie,
I have received your letter and will try to come early to your house this year! As you know, I am very busy right now, but I think I can make an exception. I will fly by on Saturday night - make sure you are sleeping soundly and remember to leave me some cookies and milk!
Love,
Santa Claus
Post a Comment