Friday, March 5, 2010

The Transformation

So in the last two months...
- we moved
- made it through Christmas
- spent a month away from Nate while he finished his fellowship in St. Louis
- transitioned to new schools, doctors, neighborhood, job, etc.
- planned a 100+ guest surprise "welcome home, congratulations, birthday" party for Nate
- made it through Maddie's 5th birthday...

Then it hit me - I'm having a baby - very soon and I am so unprepared!!!

Of course, the expanding belly and constant internal movements were HUGE indicators that inevitably he would come out; however, we had been so busy that I never had the chance to stop and really think about what a new baby would mean to our family.

So, step one in preparing for baby's arrival and easing my ever increasing anxiety - preparing the nursery...
BEFORE PICTURES




I had a hard time deciding what to do with this room because ultimately Nate and I plan on taking it over and making it part of a master suite when we renovate. However, that isn't likely to happen for another 5-10 years. And, although in the picture the paneling looks decent - in real life it was hideous, cheap, knotty pine wood that didn't match the trim, floor, or furniture. We had hoped that behind the paneling was drywall or plaster, but, unfortunately, after further investigation we learned that wasn't the case. So my options became:

1) do nothing and live with a room that I hated for a few years (and a room that I would spend much of my time in - around the clock)

2) rip it out and re drywall (even though we were planning on ripping out the room in 5 years time and we didn't have the budget for that option), or

3) paint over the ugly wood.

I chose option 3 and thankfully had my parents and mother in law to help me out.

I prepped the room for the first coat of primer.

The next morning these hot ladies came over to do the priming for me as my doctor urged me not to participate in the priming process. Thanks Mom and Barbie! (There was also someone else there who said he didn't want any credit for painting over wood - his name is not Nate, but he is the 2nd most important man in my life and I've known him since the day I was born...)


The girls helped out when they got home from school - here they are putting on the first coat of paint.


There were 3 doors that also needed a paint job. Great helpers!


Here is the finished paint job - 1 primer coat, 2 coats of paint on both the wood, wall, and ceiling. This was after 2 days of work.


Here is my dad putting on the corner round - the finishing touch.



The girls and I decided to do some personalized artwork for the baby. Maddie is painting a picture of our family and Alex is making a tree.


I channeled my inner "pbjcreations" (she is so much better than me!!) and copied some HGTV shows to come up with this.

AFTER PICTURES


Setting up the crib.


My dad made a bench to cover the radiator and another one to match. He also hung the blinds and curtains - basically anything that I asked him to do. He is wonderful. The changing table is already full of diapers and itty, bitty, little boy clothes!!


The girls artwork. :)


Now, we await the rug, a new light fixture, some lamps, the re- covered rocking chair, and a few more accessories.

As you can see my belly can't expand that much more (me at 36 weeks). Bring on my sweet baby Owen!!!!


So now that the nursery is complete I just have to worry about the little things - like, what in the world am I going to do with a new baby!?!?!!!! :) Oh, how my world is about to change (however, I'm quite excited for it!!)!!

Take care!


6 comments:

bertotto said...

Beautiful transformation! Can't wait for that little one to arrive!!! (you can start drinking wine with me again :)

Jenn Hesse said...

It looks awesome, Holly! The paneling looks great, and I love the green color. Adorable nursery...sounds like you're almost ready for Baby Owen!

Andrea said...

What an amazing transformation. I love the girls' artwork.

I can't believe you are having a baby too!! Hope the next 4 weeks fly by!!!!

holly said...

Tina - you bet! I may have to bring a bottle to the delivery room! Can't wait to check out the local wine bar with you!
Jenn - thanks - almost ready - just have to wrap my mind around the idea of an infant again - it's been 5 years since Maddie was born!
Andrea - I'm still in a bit of shock as well, but very excited!

PBJ Creations said...

I love it! and I am so excited that your family is getting into the wonderful world of little boys they are so much fun. You are such a great Mom Holly I know you'll be great with just one more !

Anonymous said...

HOLLY!!! I LOOOOOVVVVEEEE IT!!!!! You are FABULOUS at your ideas... wow...who knew?? I sure didn't...!! And the girls artwork is the icing on the cake! That little fella is SO LUCKY!!!! I love the name too.....wow, I LOVE your blog and am so happy we can SEE all these changes...especially YOUR BELLY....how cute are YOU?????!!!!! I can't wait to see baby Owen!! He'll have blonde hair, no doubt...LOVE AND MISS YOU ALL!!!!