I think Nate and my family thought that my emotional breakdowns were due to pregnancy hormones and stresses of the last few months. I don't doubt that they played a role; however, I think it was a very small role. I have been dreading this moment for a long time. Even though I realize that she has a baby brother waiting to enter the world in a few weeks, I still didn't want to face that fact she is getting older. (God help me when I have to go through this with my last child!! I will be a wreck!! And, continue to let me ignore the fact that Alex turns 8 (!!!!) in April.)
She's growing up - way too fast. To turn 5 is to end an era and to begin a new one and I'm not ready to embrace her new beginning...yet.
It means that she will enter Kindergarten in the fall and be away from me during the school day for the rest of her school years.
It means that I can no longer shop in the Toddler section for her clothing as much as I may like to squeeze her into some smaller clothes for my peace of my mind.
It means that I can no longer ignore the fact that her cute, chubby arms and legs have been replaced by long and lean little girl arms and legs.
It means that after this year she will need two hands to show you how old she is (not that she'll need to use her hands when she can simply tell you as she has been able to for years now).
It means that she's becoming a big girl and is no longer my baby even as I desperately cling to the idea.
It means that soon she will no longer fit in my lap and be able to snuggle up to me just perfectly.
It means that somehow I have also aged 5 years since I was magically introduced to her on February 15, 2005.
It means that no matter how much I long for time to stand still that it never will and that my children will keep on growing up.
Despite trying to ignore her impending birthday and teasing her that she would always be 4 in my eyes, I did pull it together enough to have a small birthday party for her on Valentine's Day with a couple friends and relatives.
The kids (Maysen, Maddie, Kate, & Alex) made homemade pizzas and decorated cupcakes.
The four of us.
With her new bike.
A very surprised and happy 5 year old.
And, as is customary in our house here she is the next morning - her actual birthday - being awaken with a cupcake breakfast.
My sleeping angels.
Blowing out her candles.
Chocolate cupcake for breakfast - it doesn't get any better than that. :)
Maddie,
I love being your mommy and I thank God for you everyday. Despite your age, you will always be my little girl. Happy Birthday!
I love you!
Love,
Mommy
6 comments:
I really miss you guys!
i remember the day sweet maddie came into the world 5 years ago. she's as strong a presence today as she was in those early months. i remember us being at your house with her crying in bed. your sound on the monitor was off but the red light kept shooting high as she screamed! :)
it saddens me i won't be there for the entrance of your baby boy into the world. miss you!!!
I can't believe she is 5! Oh I miss you and your girls. Please tell her happy birthday for me!!
WOW.... I, too, remember little Maddie coming into this world...HECK, I remember the ANNOUNCEMENT about being PREGNANT w/her... hahaha...(mom's small group) I couldn't even believe your skinny self had ONE child, let alone getting ready for baby #2... NOW, it's #3!!!!! #3 KINDA takes the pain away from the other two growing so fast....kinda! love and miss you allllll..xoxoxooxxooxox HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADDIE!!
WOW.... I, too, remember little Maddie coming into this world...HECK, I remember the ANNOUNCEMENT about being PREGNANT w/her... hahaha...(mom's small group) I couldn't even believe your skinny self had ONE child, let alone getting ready for baby #2... NOW, it's #3!!!!! #3 KINDA takes the pain away from the other two growing so fast....kinda! love and miss you allllll..xoxoxooxxooxox HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADDIE!!
stupid technology....sry it somehow posted me TWICE...
Post a Comment