Thursday, August 6, 2009

New Again!!

Since having children I've never really had the time or money to have a "hobby" per say. There were lots of things that I liked to do - running, reading, scrapbooking, etc.; however, nothing that truly fulfilled me.

A few years ago I began refinishing furniture - first our dining room set, then a hutch, another table and chairs, a toy box, etc. I love the satisfaction that it brings - taking something old and making it look new again (well, I often distress the piece so it may not look "new", but it's new to me). More importantly, I love the history behind a piece - I love knowing it's story - it makes the piece more special and more meaningful than buying it new or assembling it at home.

I've often dreamed about having my own little work shop where I could refine my skills - maybe even begin to do it as a side job - we'll see...

Anyway, here are some of the projects I tackled this summer for our new home...

The first is a bench whose origins before me I can not begin to trace. My in-laws bought 2 small cabins on a lake in Northern Wisconsin 8 years ago. This bench was left behind. It sat out in the elements for a few years before they brought it back to their garage at home hoping that someone would do something to it someday. (Thanks for the foresight Marty and Barb!) Enter me - who needed a small bench for a perfect spot in Maddie's new bedroom...

Voila!!!
A bit of paint and a new seat cushion jazzed it right up - yeah, Maddie doesn't hurt either!

In her new room - a perfect fit!

This piece Nate and I bought after we first got married with money from a friend (did you know that Jill?). It was our first TV stand and later a night stand in our guest room in Nashville.
I needed a night stand for Maddie that matched her white whicker and there you have it!


This next one is quite special to me because it belonged to my Grandma Lindell (you've heard Lindell before as it is Alex's middle name). She used this 3/4 bed in her guest room for years - she had painted it pink.

I wanted it white.

Here it is all dolled up in Alex's new room - a perfect fit!

Lastly, is this piece that also belonged to my grandma. She used it as a kitchen hutch - extra work space in her small kitchen. I always adored the piece and when my parents moved her belongings out of her house they kept this for me - thanks!! I had planned on painting it, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it as is. I'm repurposing it as Alex's new desk. I didn't get a chance to make some of the minor changes I had planned, but it will be perfect nonetheless - and, very special. Here it is in Alex's new room just waiting for her to personalize it.


All of these changes cost me less than $75 for paint and materials. The most expensive was creating the new seat cushion - surprisingly foam isn't cheap! In return I get four "new" pieces of furniture with a story behind them...

Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

they all look great holly! can't wait to see them in person. let's catch up soon!