Until now.




Although, I love sports and hope that my children play many during their high school and college years, I've resisted organized sports for my children for a number of reasons.
First, with work free weekends for Nate a highly prized commodity, I wasn't willing to tie us to an adolescent sports schedule.
Second, personally I believe getting your children involved in sports at age three is too young. Sorry to those I offend, but let's face it - your child isn't going to be any more or less of a superstar at age 15 because they've been playing since 3 or 4 or 5 years old.
And finally, it's not cheap - and extra cash is also a highly prized commodity around here.
Nevertheless, I bit the bullet this year and signed Alex up for soccer (mostly because it will make our last 3 months here in STL go that much faster). We've had practices for the last 3 weeks and yesterday was her first game. What an experience!
We live less than a mile from the soccer fields so we walked while Alex rode her bike.
Here she is on the sideline waiting her turn to play - you can almost feel the butterflies in her tummy! So sweet!
Taking her position on the field - which we all know at this age means everywhere on the field that the ball and swarm of children happens to be.
Running after the ball.
Snuggles with Daddy after the game.
We didn't end up winning the game, but the girls had fun and at least got "one under their belt". However, I did hear that because we actually scored a goal this game that we beat their record of last year - a goalless season! So, there's always that going for us... :)
And, I found out that I might be "that mom". You know the one who is encouraging the team on the sidelines - by yelling loudly. I guess I didn't know I had it in me, but it's amazing what that youngster brings out in me. :)
Fellow "soccer moms" (or dads) any tips on making it through the season?
No comments:
Post a Comment