"What are you thinking?"
"Are you sure that's a good idea?"
Or, my favorite...
"Are you crazy?!?"
Since I've never had a puppy I took their comments to heart, but always thought - "oh, it can't be that bad - just a few crazy weeks and then things will settle down." I laughed with them, but deep down thought - "I can do this."
Well, today I'm here to answer their favorite question - "Are you crazy?!?"
YES - I am crazy AND incredibly stupid. (And if it weren't for breastfeeding I would also be intoxicated a fair amount of time.)
Now, people pass me on the street with the 2 girls, the baby in either the stroller or Baby Bjorn, and the dog on the leash and they say, "Wow, you must be ambitious."
I now reply, "No, I'm just an idiot."
Truly, I had no idea that a puppy would be so difficult. It's kind of like when people tell you how much your life is going to change when you have a baby - you can't really know until you go through it.
Don't get me wrong, she's a sweet puppy (and she hasn't had any accidents yet, knock on wood), but, that's just it - she's a puppy. A puppy who likes to nip and bite and jump on my small children. She often enjoys doing this while I'm nursing the baby making disciplining her incredibly convenient and simple. Not. It's especially fun when she tries to jump up on Owen while he's eating...
Since she's only allowed in the kitchen I feel like a prisoner in my own kitchen as I can't leave her alone yet for fear of what she will chew (of course not one of her gazillion chew toys, but instead cabinets or furniture). Our home is about 5,000 square feet and I'm confined to 800 of them. The only 800 square feet that isn't air conditioned. Fun times.
I can't let her run free outside until we get the invisible fence installed on Friday. (Many of my Nashville friends will remember my feelings on irresponsible pet owners that allow their dogs to roam free in other people's yards - "Get. Your. Dog. Out. Of. My. Yard." - said while yielding a large piece of firewood with a crazed look on my face.)
The girls try to be helpful, but Nash just wants to play with them - which means biting and nipping and jumping on them. Which means that I can't leave her alone with them - so we're either in the kitchen, outside, or she's kenneled in the mudroom and we hear her barks and whines throughout the whole house (despite the fact that it is a large house, it is a large house with hardwood floors and little furniture or rugs so the sound carries all over). I try not to kennel her other than when we are gone because I know that only makes her more hyper and totally defeats the purpose.
Perhaps I was naive - scratch that - yes, I was/am naive to think that I could do this all and still stay sane. Or even nice. Every evening you will find a woman living on the edge of psychosis - just barely hanging on. "Dinner? How the heck should I know what's for dinner - the baby got fed and the children and dog are still alive - isn't that good enough?" I haven't fixed my hair in over a week and have put on make up one time - most days I'm lucky if I've had time to put on sunscreen and lip gloss, not to mention remembering to clasp my nursing bra.
I do think it will get easier once the fence is in (however, a friend pointed out the obvious that once she's outside there is a lot more she can get in to. Duh.) and she's trained better (again, remember I'm an idiot and naive - it's the only thing holding me together). I just think this first week was incredibly overwhelming (especially when one doesn't know what she is doing). I keep repeating the mantra...
"She's going to be a great dog. She's going to be a great dog. She's going to be a great dog."
Right? (You can lie to me if need be.)
I do look forward to long runs and her companionship over the next decade or so, but it's going to take a while to get there (and I hope I'm not committed before that time comes).
I wouldn't recommend infant and puppy at the same time. And I wouldn't do it again knowing what I know now. (And I certainly wouldn't recommend moving, new job, new city, new baby and new puppy all within 5 months - not so good on relationships.)
Regardless of the immense stress of the situation I can recognize the bright spots - here are some pictures from the last week.
I composed this post on Friday afternoon, but didn't post it because I needed to edit it. Well, to make matters a little more hectic - Saturday afternoon Alex cut her leg on a tree and made her first trip to the E.R. - 16 stitches (pictures to follow later). Now my number one helper is out of commission for a while as I'm terrified of Nash jumping on her or scratching her leg. Then Sunday, we noticed an abscess on Maddie's leg - Monday found me running around like a chicken with her head cut off trying to take care of everyone's needs.
Ah - one day I'll look back and laugh at this time, right?
Now, if you'll excuse me the baby is crying, the dog is barking, and I'm clinging to the edge...
It's 5:00 somewhere, right? I can hear a gin a tonic calling my name (it's only one of the numerous voices that are now in my head)...
Any suggestions on maintaining sanity?
3 comments:
Oh, Holly! Hang...in...there! She WILL be a great dog! Her puppy days will not last forever, and being able to let her out in the yard will help. You will look back on this crazy, chaotic time and laugh... someday. :-) I'm thinking of you and will say extra prayers for you all. Your photos are precious! Please give Alex and hug from me. :-)
If it makes you feel any better Sonny was a maniac!!!! I wanted to get rid of him tons of times and he turned out to be an awesome dog. :) He had TONS of energy..teach her to play fetch...then you can sit in the back yard and play fetch and wear her out..that was the one thing that helped with Sonny. Now all he does is sleep all day and I wish and give anything for him to have some puppy energy again!! :)
if you were next door i'd come and help take some of the crazy away!!! she'll be a fabulous dog (coming from the gal who sold her kid's christmas dog because he never turned into a good dog)!! ;) hang in there.
Post a Comment